UV Mesh not aligning properly (X-Post from old thread)
Hi there, I recently posted to the old forum and had some back and forth with Dr. Sassi. I wanted to bring that conversation to this new forum and hopefully continue the discussion.
Here's a link to the dropbox folder I originally sent: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/gkl9ft8cwb3nhtgpc3n6o/h?dl=0&rlkey=gh64r5lhmqirttc950u0tg4ju
The issue I'm running into is that the lid and base of the container do not line up properly. I'm currently just using .pngs for the materials but eventually will be animating the leaf pattern in AE and applying it as a .tiff sequence to render out with the tub in C4D.
Happy to share out the project file, but I know Dr. Sassi was already taking a look at it.
Thanks in advance!
Dr. Sassi last edited by Dr. Sassi
I have resent the email. Please let me know if it has arrived. Can you check your spam folder? I have had sent it late last night (L.A. time)
I have remodeled it, stripped the "padding" for print-"texture" away (bleeding, etc.), and placed two versions in it, the lid lined up (file 11) or the lid with a noticeable edge (file 01).
I also made a tillable Texture, just in case that seam wasn't wanted. You can pick either of both. Having done product design for a few years in Munich, I know those shrink labels will not match. I would keep the leaves out at that "border" instead of cutting those.
Let me know if there is anything else!
@Dr-Sassi I received it and have been working through bringing the texture into redshift and adjusting to get close to photorealism. I can't think you enough for the help on remodeling this tub.
I would love to know the process of how you traced the spline to recreate the tub. I think I understand it on a high-level, but I still would love to understand how the UV is wrapped now.
I'll share a render when I get a bit further along in the project. For now, I'm just building a seamless and giving it a nice studio lit look. But eventually it will be making it's way into live action footage.
Dr. Sassi last edited by
You're very welcome, Zack.
The Mesh looked like a twist deformer had worked on the lower part. This was strong enough to trigger my wish to redo it. You mentioned that the whole setup could be just one object.
So, I selected one edge close to an axis (so it is descended) and used the Mesh> Edge To Spline Function.
Then called up Create>Spline> Empty Spline and placed it as a parent to it. Merge and Delete were next. This sets the Axis to the origin. (There are faster ways, but that is my preferred way and the most stable from my point of view).
While all points are selected, I set the Coordinates, so they are all on the previously mentioned axis (World coordinates). To get the in the Right Column is the dimension, which needs to be zero for that axis and the position. But only for that axis.
Since there was the Container and the Lid, I had to do it twice. Some points need to be deleted, and some moved, where they have to connect. Then used the Spline> Segments> Join Segment.
From there, it was a Lathe operation.
One thing I did was rotate the lit "Border" just to get the UVs all as Cylindrical, then move it to the non-rotating one. This is not a standard procedure, just a trick to be fast with that.
All the best
@Dr-Sassi Thank you for the great detailed breakdown. This is all making a ton of sense, and I've been able to get the updated packaging mechanicals brought in and they're looking fantastic!
Dr. Sassi last edited by
Great, and thank you for the update, Zack!
My best wishes for your project